Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Why Soy Candles are the New Black


When you're shopping candles, price and quality never seemed to go hand in hand until soy hit the scene. It's the biggest rage for everything and there's good reason: it's not expensive, it holds fragrance and distributes it evenly, has a low-smoke burn and I'd be here all day listing the benefits. I promised a pic-by-pic reflection on our candles, so despite the busy schedule lately here you are!

Now here we have a large, one wick candle on clearance for $1.00 at Wal-mart, a $2.00 clearance mainstay's three-wick candle, and our beautiful soy candle. Immediately, I draw attention to the large fat labels on both of the jars! Stickers that are hard to peel off, cover, or hide. A simple label and a small flavor on the soy candle says 2 things: clear elegance so you can display the jar or put it in a more decorative container, and you can re-use this jar easily!
The size of the other two candles outweighs the soy by a good bit, so how did they all do? Three days of burning these candles as much as I could reveal the results.


The first common mistake with candles is that they don't burn evenly. I couldn't keep the green 3-wick jar's wicks lit!! One or two wicks would sputter out, leaving uneven burning. The two smaller jars were accent candles that came with a large 5-candle-for-10-dollar set but as you can see even though they were both burn at the same times, one is running down faster than the next! The unreliability of these candles is pretty obvious.

And our chutney? The cranberries smelled less like cranberry and more like chut. The smell was strong, but it was too strong! The 3-wick candles could be smelled within a smaller space, but in the living room I was sad to see that I could hardly tell I had lit anything. More importantly, look at the fact that HALF of the jar is missing! 3 days later, that dollar did not stretch very far at all!
It even seems that I wouldn't mind a dollar a week for candle fragrance, but unfortunately the smell was not fresh and enjoyable... but funky and overwhelming.


Another thing I want to call attention to is this ghastly thing I called a candle. Leather scented, I was so excited! Fragrance rocks built right into it, so I could be guaranteed a wonderful comfortable scent. Expensive, but it did offer the quality of scent I was looking for. So why am I upset? I paid for a whole candle, but the candle only burned half of itself! It cored itself down right in the center, leaving a lot of work for myself to do if I want to burn the other half sometime. And I didn't pay nearly 10 dollars to buy a do-it-myself project!


And our wonderful soy candle! An even burn, a lovely jar and you can see hardly any residue is left behind clinging onto the sides of the jar! A quick clean, and this jar is certainly available for whatever you need a jar for. The lovely smell was softly distributed throughout the entire living room on it's own, and with 5 dogs that's really saying something.

I want to really call attention to the one we use in the office. If you're a smoker, even with the window cracked open, smoke clings to paint, fabric, and anything it can get itself attached to.. but the soy candles do a wonderful job of neutralizing the smokey air and making the area more comfortable for those of us who don't appreciate the fragrant smell of nicotine.


And with fragrances as yummy as chocolate kisses, you can enjoy yourself in the tub, while working, or relaxing while knowing that your candle is delivering exactly what you paid for, and you'll be able to enjoy it longer.. The key word being enjoying!

Candles can come a dime a dozen, and it's sometimes more convenient to buy a cheap jar and toss it... but you get what you pay for, and there aren't many candles that beat Pure, Lovely Soy Candles.

No comments:

Post a Comment